Tomato And Oregano Rice Pilaf
We’re Kenton and Jane from Lemon & Olives. – A food blog specializing in Greek cuisine.
Hello Tomato Wellness community! – We love Mediterranean food not only for its wonderful recipes, but also for his fantastic health benefits.
Today, we’re presenting a great dish that has the added bonus of canned tomatoes! As you may know, adding tomatoes into your diet can give you a wide array of nutritional benefits, from lowering your risk of heart disease to decreased risk of prostate issues.
Also, since April is, “National Garlic Month,” we added a healthy amount of garlic to this recipe, because, after all, who doesn’t love some garlic? Not to mention, garlic has a plethora of benefits as well.
So, go ahead, and try this tomato based rice pilaf, your body will thank you 🙂
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1 cup long grain rice
14oz can of diced tomatoes
1 ½ cup chicken broth
¼ cup pine nuts
salt and pepper
1. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in pan.
2. Crush garlic into pan.
3. Add rice and oregano, stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until rice is translucent.
4. Transfer rice to rice cooker.
5. Add can of tomatoes (with juice) and chicken broth, mix well.
6. Add ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt (to preference)
7. Let rice sit in broth for 10 minutes before turning on rice cooker.
8. Start rice cooker.
9. When done, lift lid (watch for steam!) and add pine nuts, mix.
10. Place clean towel over rice cooker, and place lid back on, let sit for 10 minutes.*
11. Plate and serve!
As we say in Greek: Kali Orexi! (Bon Appetit!)
*Notes: this helps remove extra moisture.
Recipe by Kenton & Jane of Lemon & Olives.com, a Greek Food blog focusing on the cuisine, history, and travels of Greece. Follow along with us on Facebook and Twitter!