African Peanut Soup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 3 medium tomatoes, quartered (or 1 can of diced tomatoes)
- 2 lbs (900 g) sweet potatoes, sliced
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- fresh cilantro for serving (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high.
- Saute the onion until slightly browned.
- And in garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Cook and stir one minute.
- Add tomatoes and sweet potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add water and season with salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Blend soup with peanut butter and cayenne with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender.
- Serve with cilantro.
Jessica is a registered dietitian, a recipe creator and curator, a nutrition blogger and counsellor, and a hopeless gardener. She loves traveling, having visited 27 countries. She is passionate about helping people get the most nourishment, health, and enjoyment from the food they eat.