Skillet Chicken Parmesan
Chicken Parmesan is a classic Italian-American comfort food. Though the traditional recipe includes breaded, fried chicken, a baked version provides an equally delicious base for the true star of this dish, marinara sauce.
I love cooking with rich tomato sauce as it brings delicious tomato flavor along with several health benefits. Although tomatoes reach peak freshness during the summer months, using tomato products offers the ability to reap their nutrients year round. Tomatoes are rich in the antioxidant – lycopene, which has many well-studied properties, including protection from cancer and cardiovascular problems. Heating and cooking tomatoes for use in products like marinara sauce or stewed tomatoes, increases the lycopene content significantly, creating a more potent, nutrient-dense product. Additionally, when cooked, a tomato’s lycopene becomes more biologically available, allowing our bodies to absorb these benefits more easily. Tomato products, like this recipe’s marinara sauce, not only offer cooking convenience, but added flavor and nutrients, too.
Enjoy this healthy Chicken Parmesan for it’s comforting taste and familiar flavors, and feel great about the added nutrients the tomatoes in this dish provide.
Skillet Parmesan Chicken
- 4 Large Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 4, 1-oz Slices of Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup Marinara Sauce (look for sauces with simple ingredients that you recognize)
- Dash Salt and Pepper
- Dash Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Dash Dried Rosemary Leaves
- Dash Ground Oregano
- Dash Dried Basil
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Heat skillet with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Cook chicken for about 8-10 minutes until cooked through (time may vary depending on thickness of chicken) and transfer to a baking dish.
- Cover each chicken breast with 1/8 cup Marinara, 1 slice of cheese and dashes of herbs. Bake until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
Recipe Link: http://feedkids.com/recipe/skillet-chicken-parmesan/